Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Saddened

Tuesday, March 25, 2014
I'm struggling with the title of this one. It was brought to my attention today via Facebook that people are again spreading hate in the name of Christianity. I am angered by this. Saddened. Astonished. Anguished. I really can not wrap my head around it. This is the article that is getting the heat this time. http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/religion/world-vision-to-recognize-employees-same-sex-marriages/2014/03/25/a377ff8e-b42b-11e3-bab2-b9602293021d_story.html

Im struggling to short cut that so I apologize. Its on Facebook. I shared it because I was so saddened by this. But I feel the need to put my take on it. If you don't wanna read the article heres the gist. World Vision has decided not to take a stand for or against gay marriage. They have said they support marriage in the traditional sense, but are not supporting or standing again gay marriage. They did say they will employ Christians that are in legal gay marriages. And people have now decided that because of this, they will no longer support World Vision.

WHAT??!?!?!?! They are not hurting world vision. They are hurting the CHILDREN whom they PLEDGED to support until graduation. This isn't a message to world vision. This is putting innocent children in the middle of a debate that has ZERO biblical basis and zero to do with the children.

Now. I do not support gay marriage. It is not biblical. However, I do support equal employment opportunity. Denying someone a right to a job because of their sexual orientation is horribly wrong.
Apparently, these people that are pulling funding from innocent children are doing so on the basis that one can not be a Christian AND be gay. again. WHAT?!?! So then.... I can't be a Christian. see. I sin. Im not gay. But I sin differently. Im not always kind to my children. I sometimes judge. I've told lies. I even stole a piece of piece of candy once. I drank so much that I blacked out once. These are all sins. But beyond the fact that we ALL sin.... WE are not to decide who is saved and who is not. That's a personal thing. That's between the person and the Lord. That has NOTHING to do with ANYONE else. Why do we judge sin? Why is being gay this huge scarlet letter in the Christian community? Yet, someone that has a coke habit and beats his wife is welcome in these little church circles. Have Christians become those people that people put on a front for so they aren't judged? This breaks my heart.

Heres my biggest issue with it. You don't have to agree with the acts that world vision has supported. You don't. But before you decide to denounce an organization for equal employment opportunity, remember the greatest commandments. there are 2 ya ready? Matthew 22:36-39
36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.

LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF. Mind blown. Nothing in there says anything about love them as long as they believe the same as you. Or love them as long as they don't sin. Or judge everything they do. Shall we go to 1 Corinthians now and have a refresher of what love is? Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
How in the world can we both LOVE and spew such hate?  It breaks my heart that Christians spread such hatred in the name of our Lord.

Now that we've established that... lets get back to the root of who this hurts. Innocent children that have nothing to do with the issue that these Christians have decided to pull funding over. These are children that otherwise have no education. Children that are in desperate need of something that WE take for granted because our kids have schools to go to. Our kids have education OPTIONS. these don't need options. They just need US. Breaking a commitment to educate a child because you want to spew hatred is beyond pathetic.

I get that people aren't all going to agree with me. I get that people are going to interpret the scriptures differently. I get that people will no longer do business with world vision because of this. That's fine. But the right thing to do, is to honor your commitment to the CHILD. once your commitment is over, if you have a difference in believes, by all means, take your sponsorship to an organization that follows along with your beliefs more specifically. But to punish a child that you made a promise to? Man.... Gotta say.... Christians are doing a darn good job of kicking themselves while their down.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Combat Boots, Flip Flops & Tonka Trucks. Design by Pocket