Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Being Super Mom

Tuesday, March 25, 2014
A few days ago, I read a fantastic blog. It was about how NO mom is supermom, and we need to stop comparing ourselves to each other. I cant for the life of me figure out this linking business tonight, so my apologies for not having it linked up. It is however on my facebook page if you'd like to read the article in its entirety. She made so many valid points. I was nodding my head all the way through. But for the last couple days since reading it, I've thought a lot about it. Almost obsessively actually. So I wanted to reflect a little on the one and only part I disagreed with.

NO mom is super mom.

I have on more than one occasion been called a super mom. And I own that. I AM a super mom. I have 3 boys. Fairly close in age. They are all extremely well behaved. They are kind. They are gentlemen. They are loving. They are God fearing. My boys are amazing. They are this way because I have made them this way. I expect a tremendous amount from my boys. And guess what! They rise to meet and exceed my expectations. Because that's what kids do. They WANT to make you happy. So if you set high standards they achieve amazing things. Im not just a mom tho. Im also a military wife. And a VERY good one. Im the wife that other wives hate. I do all the cleaning, all the cooking, I support my husbands career, I raise the kids, I know my place. I pin my husbands uniforms. I respect that at this stage in our lives, the military comes before the family. not in my husbands heart of course. he would give anything to have a job that paid him as well as this one does with all the benefits and let him be home at 5 every day. but that's no where we are right now. So he is a military man. And I am PROUD of him. Im also fit. I work out daily. I have a good group of friends. I have a dog that is arguably the greatest animal on the planet. I have great relationships with my family. I have an amazing walk with my Abba daddy. Im a great cook. Im a good house keeper. And I run a daycare out of my home. I AM A SUPER MOM.

This has intimidated people. I have been perceived as something I am not, because of my success in what I've chosen to do. Now. I am not going to stop being who I am because I intimate people. I LOVE who I am. I LOVE my life. I LOVE me. My goal here is not to make people see how great I am. I don't need anyone's validation. See, I know who I am, and that is enough for me. My goal here is this.

We are ALL super moms. We all have different gifts. we all have different challenges. Just because in my day I craft, work, cook, clean, and 2.4 million other things and you shower and feed your kid a microwave dinner, does not make one of us more of a mom than the other. Ya know why? because we ALL want the same thing for our kids. We want them to be loved. And only YOU know how to love your child the way they need to be loved. I think part of me fills my day with busy work because my boys are independent. They feel love when mom helps them put clothes away. when we set the table together. My kids don't want to play with me. They're independent. That's okay. It does make me sad sometimes, so I reach out and do things to keep my mind off the fact that I don't feel needed.

3 months ago, we suffered a loss. Jamie and I had a baby go to heaven. We hadn't met the baby, in fact it was within the first month of pregnancy. some wouldn't even call it a pregnancy. But this felt like a huge failure to me. I am not used to feeling like a failure. I grow babies VERY well. And I felt like I had done something wrong. I cried for a week. Hubby dealt with his grief by buying a new tv and sound system. I felt weak and vulnerable. And then I realized. I have SO many friends that have felt these exact things. because so many of my friends have dealt with loss. loss through miscarriage. loss through infertility. its heart wrenching. you hurt so badly that you don't know how you can possibly pull yourself together and make your kids breakfast. But that's when you have to reach in and find your inner super mom. for my grieving period my kids ate mac n cheese and grilled cheese. oh and I think daddy ordered pizza. and then I put on my cape. I wiped my face. and I decided that every single day, I have to be super mom. for the kids that I have now. for our angel baby in heaven. for the kids that we might have someday. because if im NOT being super mom, im not being the best mom that I can be. and these boys of mine. they deserve that mom.

some days, all we will do is keep our kids alive. some days we will move mountains. but EVERY DAY that we are moms, we have kids that think WE are super mom. Lets live up to that. Lets band together and support each others strengths. Lets love when were hurting. Lets stop trying to be better than each other. We are all on this journey together. We all make different choices. We all use our strengths in different ways. But we all feel pain. We all love our children unconditionally. this is what makes us all super moms. Own it. Our capes are invisible, but our rewards are beyond compare.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Combat Boots, Flip Flops & Tonka Trucks. Design by Pocket